Welcome to our comprehensive guide on Cross Border Xpress (CBX), the convenient and efficient pedestrian bridge that connects San Diego and Tijuana International Airport (TIJ). This article will provide everything you need about CBX, including directions, parking options, and helpful tips for a smooth travel experience.
Table of Contents
- Overview of Cross Border Xpress (CBX)
- How to Get to CBX: Directions and Transportation Options
- CBX Parking: Where to Park Your Car
- Crossing the CBX Bridge: Step-by-Step Process
- CBX Terminal Services and Amenities
- Travel Tips for Using CBX
Overview of Cross Border Xpress (CBX)
Cross Border Xpress (CBX) is an exclusive pedestrian bridge connecting the United States and Mexico, specifically San Diego, California, with Tijuana International Airport (TIJ). The 390-foot enclosed bridge provides travelers a seamless, fast, and secure crossing experience with a valid airline boarding pass for a flight departing or arriving at Tijuana Airport. CBX has become increasingly popular due to its convenience, time-saving capabilities, and cost-effectiveness.
How to Get to CBX: Directions and Transportation Options
The CBX terminal is at 2745 Otay Pacific Drive, San Diego, CA 92154. It's easily accessible by car, public transportation, and shuttle services. Here are the main transportation options:
From Downtown San Diego, follow these directions:
- Take I-5 South towards the US-Mexico border.
- Merge onto CA-905 East.
- Take the Britannia Boulevard exit.
- Turn right onto Britannia Boulevard.
- Turn left onto Otay Pacific Drive.
- Continue straight to the CBX terminal.
The San Diego Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) offers bus services to CBX via Route 225. The bus departs from the Iris Avenue Transit Center and stops at the CBX terminal.
Various shuttle services provide transportation to CBX, including City Captain Transportation, SDACS Car Service, and City Captain Limo Shuttle Service. These services offer door-to-door transportation and must be booked in advance.
CBX Parking: Where to Park Your Car
There are several parking options available at the CBX terminal. These include:
- Short-term Parking: Ideal for dropping off or picking up passengers, short-term parking is available at a rate of $5 per hour, with a daily maximum of $40.
- Long-term Parking: For travelers planning to leave their car at CBX for an extended period, long-term parking is available at a daily rate of $15.
- Off-site Parking: Alternative off-site parking options are available near CBX, such as Park 'N Fly and WallyPark. These facilities often offer competitive rates and complimentary shuttle services to the CBX terminal.
Crossing the CBX Bridge: Step-by-Step Process
To ensure a seamless experience when crossing the CBX bridge, follow these steps:
- Purchase a CBX Ticket: You can purchase CBX tickets online, at the CBX terminal, or through participating airlines. A one-way ticket costs $16, while a round-trip ticket is $30.
- Valid airline boarding pass for a flight departing or arriving at Tijuana Airport
- CBX ticket
- Passport and, if required, a valid visa or travel document
- Arrive Early: Arriving at CBX at least 2 hours before your departure for domestic flights and 3 hours for international flights is recommended.
- Proceed to the CBX Terminal: Once you arrive at the CBX terminal, follow the signs to the bridge's entrance. If you're arriving at Tijuana Airport, follow the signs to the CBX bridge within the airport terminal.
- Clear Customs and Immigration: As you cross the CBX bridge, you'll pass through customs and immigration on both the US and Mexican sides. Make sure to have your documents ready for inspection.
- Exit the Bridge: After clearing customs and immigration, you'll exit the bridge and reach your final destination.
CBX Terminal Services and Amenities
The CBX terminal offers various services and amenities to make your travel experience more comfortable and convenient. Some of these include:
- Check-in kiosks for participating airlines
- Baggage check and claim
- Duty-free shopping
- Currency exchange
- Food and beverage options
- Restrooms and baby care facilities
- Free Wi-Fi
- Information and customer service desk
Travel Tips for Using CBX
To make the most of your CBX experience, consider these helpful tips:
- Purchase CBX Tickets in Advance: Book your CBX tickets online before your trip.
- Check the CBX Website for Updates: Stay informed about any changes or updates to CBX operations, such as hours of operation or service changes, by visiting the official CBX website.
- Consider Off-Site Parking: If you're looking for more affordable parking options, research off-site parking facilities near CBX that offer shuttle services to the terminal.
- Pack Light: Remember that you'll cross the bridge on foot, so pack light or use a wheeled suitcase for more accessible transportation.
- Know the Rules and Regulations: Familiarize yourself with the customs and immigration requirements for both the US and Mexico before your trip to avoid any issues during your crossing.
Following this comprehensive guide to Cross Border Xpress (CBX) will prepare you for a hassle-free and efficient travel experience between San Diego and Tijuana International Airport. Happy travels!